Public Adjuster

Tony Quintana

Public Adjuster

Office: 305-234-8243

Serving all of Florida

For over 30+ years

Since 2012, Mr. Quintana has been deemed an expert in Miami Dade County by the Honorable Judge Ellen Leesfield. Mr. Quintana’s primary focus and expertise is evaluating both causation of and real property damages to insured losses that are affected by hurricanes, windstorms, water damage, fire and other covered perils.
From the Florida Keys to the Florida Panhandle, Mr. Quintana has handled insurance property claims and has been directly involved in dozens of court cases which required his testimony. He has been fully immersed in adjusting, appraising and recovering monies for insureds of over 10,0000+ covered insurance losses.

“Don’t Settle for Less”

Southern Public Adjusters

Sometimes there is disagreement between the insurance company and the policyholder involving either the cause of the damage, or the extent of damage that was caused by a covered peril. Prior to filing a lawsuit, it may be beneficial to attempt to resolve the disagreement by using one of the following:

MEDIATION: This is an informal process where a trained, neutral mediator tries to help resolve the dispute without dictating the outcome. The insurance company pays the cost of the mediation process. Mediation is not binding on either party. You are not required to accept the offer made by the company at the mediation conference

APPRAISAL: If you cannot reach a satisfactory settlement, you may hire an appraiser to help you get paid. Your appraiser will negotiate with the insurer’s appraiser to reach a settlement. If the two appraisers cannot agree, they will hire an umpire. The cost of the umpire is shared by you and the insurer. A decision by any two of the three is binding on all parties. The appraisal process is available on new claims that have been paid as well as re-opened claims. We can help you navigate the complexities within the policy language. “Don’t settle for less.”

CALL US BEFORE CALLING YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY but if you have been paid and are not satified, call us to re-open your claim.

We will recover the maximum payout for your claim.